When talking to a person, we get only 30% of all the information through their words — all the rest of the info can be revealed in their movements, tone of voice, and other non-verbal means of communication. So if you want to know what your friends are actually feeling at any given moment, it’s better to watch their faces — try to be extra attentive and you’ll learn a lot of new things about them.
Bright Side has prepared a short guide on how to “read” people’s faces.
- Raised and curved eyebrows may mean that a person is surprised. And the more surprised they are, the higher their eyebrows lift. Raising the eyebrows is also a sign of openness and attraction to you.
- Eyebrows that are lowered and drawn together usually symbolize anger. As a rule, you’ll also see vertical wrinkles between the eyebrows.
- Inner corners of eyebrows that are drawn together and upward indicate sadness.
- Looking up and to the right may indicate that a person is trying to use their imagination or that they’re lying.
- Looking up and to the left means that a person is remembering or recalling something.
- Looking down may indicate that a person is embarrassed, nervous, or has poor self-esteem. Sometimes it’s a sign of feeling guilty.
- If a person’s eyes quickly dart from side to side, it means that they feel nervous or uncomfortable around you.
- Dilated pupils usually indicate fear or that a person is interested or in love with you.
- On the contrary, if a person’s pupils get very small, almost like beads, it may mean they’re angry.
- If you see crow’s feet at the outside corners of somebody’s eyes, it means that they’re truly laughing as these lines symbolize joy.
- Pursed lips may signal some negative emotions like anger, contempt, frustration, or disapproval.
- If someone is biting their lips, they’re trying to soothe themselves because they’re feeling anxious.
- If one side of the mouth is raised, it may reveal contempt or hate.
- Corners of the lips that are drawn downward signify sadness.
- Touching the neck may mean that a person is trying to protect themselves when feeling discomfort.
- Touching the nose is a signal that a person is lying.
Do you have your own tips on how to “read” people’s faces? Share them with us in the comments!