Summers and salads go hand in hand . One hardly feels like eating spicy and oily food during Summers and crave for something light and tangy . During this season nothing is more comforting and refreshing than a bowl full of delicious salad.
Moong sprouts salad is one such quick and easy recipe . A very simple yet colorful and refreshing salad loaded with nutrients. This can be had as a mid day snacks or as a healthy breakfast option . Healthy because Moong bean sprouts are low in calories , have fiber and B Vitamins and deliver a boost of Vitamins C and K.
This recipe calls for sprouting the Moong beans first. I have mixed bean sprouts at least twice a week in my house either as quick stir fry or in salads. Moong beans sprouts are more popular as they are quick to sprout, hence they are easily available in market but they can be easily made at home also. This Moong sprout salad has no hard and fast ingredients and one can add any fresh vegetables and fruits into it as per liking and availability. If the sprouts are ready at hand , it hardly takes any time to make this salad.
I generally cook the sprouts prior to adding in the salad. If you prefer crispy salad, the sprouts can be kept half cooked. I have added Onions, Tomatoes , Cucumber , boiled Potatoes, Pomegranate and fresh coriander leaves and seasoned it with lemon juice , salt and chat masala. You may add carrots, beet root , roasted Peanuts and fruits like Apple also .
- 1 cup Moong beans
- 1 medium Onion finely chopped
- 1 Tomato finely chopped
- 1 Cucumber finely chopped
- 1 large Potato , boiled , peeled and cubed
- 1/4 cup Pomegranate arils (seeds) / Anardana
- 2 tbsp of finely chopped Coriander leaves
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1-2 tsp Chat masala
- Salt to taste.
- Soak the Moong beans in enough water for 6-8 hours or over night. Next day wash them thoroughly , drain and tie them in a clean kitchen napkin and keep in a warm place for 8-10 hours or until they sprout.
2. Add salt and water to the Moong beans sprout and cook them . I have cooked them in a microwave for 5 minutes . Strain them , do not throw the water. You can add it in soups or dals.
3. Allow the Moong sprouts to cool down completely. In a mixing bowl add the sprouts along with chopped Onions, Cucumber, Tomatoes, Potatoes , Coriander and Pomegranate seeds. Give it a toss or mix well.
4. Keep this mixture refrigerated until serving time. When ready to serve season it with chat masala, salt and lemon juice. Be careful while adding salt as we have added salt to the beans while cooking).
5. Serve this healthy and colorful salad as breakfast or mid time snacks and enjoy !
For more Summer salad recipes, do check my post on