Check out the beneficial factors of Online tutoring vs classroom teaching and decide which one is the right fit for you.
Now-a-days online coaching/tutoring has become a trend. While many educational institutions are going the virtual route, there are few institutions who still realize the benefits of maintaining classroom teaching. Research has proved that classroom teaching not only impacts the students but the teachers.
Both online tutoring and classroom teaching options of studying are beneficial, however, you can choose as per your leisure.
What are the benefits of online learning?
1. There are many benefits of online learning like flexibility, plenty of choices, cost benefits, comfortable environment to study, advancing your career even while you are working, gaining skills that are transferrable, avoid commuting and learning at your own house.
2. Additionally, it also helps you to develop self-discipline and makes you join study groups from different places to understand perspectives.
3. Emergence of EdTech: With the evolving of EdTech space, new apps are coming up for learning on the go. This will be highly beneficial for students as it explains the concept anytime and at any hour of the day.
4. If you are opting for E-learning you have options to study at your own time without having to visit a classroom where the time slots for lectures are fixed.
5. Documentation: While you are studying online, all the documentation is saved in the drive and hence the students can only focus on learning. They do not have to compile notes or write notes.
6.Personalises attention: Online teaching increases the engagement between the student and the teacher, resulting in personalised attention to the student. Here, in case the student is shy, he/she can openly communicate his query to the teacher and doesn’t have to worry whether the query is an important one or not.
7. Increases networking opportunity: Online learning provides networking opportunities with students from different countries and cities as well. They could learn, discuss and solve their problems mutually. This process increases the scope of knowledge and also helps students to showcase their work globally.
What are the factors that make classroom teaching so productive?
1. Collaborative learning: Basically, the classroom environment is important to encourage and motivate collaborative learning. Collaborative learning increases student’s self-awareness about how students learn and enables them to learn more easily and effectively, transforming them into keen learners inside and beyond the classroom.
2.Critical thinking: Classroom teaching enhances students' critical thinking skills. Classroom studying provides an opportunity for students to engage in live discussions where they can better utilise their critical thinking skills to voice opinions or involve in an argument.
3. Rapport with teachers and making friends: When students are in a classroom, they learn social interactions with peers, make friends, and also establish rapport with teachers. It is vital for children to develop socially along with their academic education.
4.Conflict resolving and building team spirit: Classroom teaching inculcates conflict resolving skills, presentation skills when it comes to presenting their ideas confidently in front of peers, develops team spirit, and teaches them to get along with those from different cultural backgrounds.
These kinds of experiences benefit in moulding students' communication and listening skills and it helps them in growing and maturing emotionally.
5.Importance of a teacher: The presence of a teacher physically in a classroom keeps the students attentive and inspired throughout the lecture, and additionally also initiates participation in interesting activities. This enables students to retain more from what they have learned during a session.
In this method, teachers can also modify their teaching style based on types of learners in their classroom i.e. classroom activities can help visual learners and interactions can help auditory learners amongst others.
Through this process, teachers can get an idea of whether the students are following what has been taught or they require further explanation. Furthermore, students can also clarify their doubts immediately after the chapter is over or a topic is over.
6.Skill development: Classroom teaching teaches students how to develop organizational skills, beginning with the basics, such as arriving at school on time.
In a live classroom, students are held accountable for being prepared to do school work, which includes doing their homework the night before, being ready for a sort of quiz or competition, submitting assignments in time or before their due date and prepare for classroom discussion or any group discussion.
All these help students in organizing themselves and their time, prioritise their homework, assignments, and playtime.
- Article by SudhanshuSinhal, Managing Director, Sinhal Classes Pvt. Ltd.
Read: 7 ways classroom teaching is better than online education
Read: Is online learning making education easier?
Read: How online learning is doing away with traditional learning methods